Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dining-Out 101: German

German cuisine is one of my favorites; simple and hearty, but always an intriguing combination of flavors. Last spring, Sister, Mom, Gramps and I happily trekked through the Wurzburg region in Southern Bavarian. Before departing on our journey I made many copies of the German, Spanish and French versions of the International Dining Cards in the appendix of The Gluten-Free Bible. Despite my cards, I opted to largely play it safe and order bratwurst at almost every establishment. I'm not a big sasuage fan, but there's just something about bratwurst. I love the texture and the flavor. While in Germany, I especially enjoyed how each bratwurst I ate tasted different because every restaurant made their own. Same with the sauerkrat, each establishment used different seasoning to achieve subtle variations in flavor (carraway seed was my favorite addition).

Fortunately, I can relive my German travels close to home at Richard's Restaurant and Edelweiss Lounge on Maine Street in Brunswick. Their bratwurst is reminscent of its German counterpart as is the atmosphere in the restaurant itself (dark paneling, beer steins, dim lighting). It feels like a little Bavaria in Midcoast Maine. I was also excited to find a GF dessert on the menu that was actually interesting. I usually pass on dessert at restaurant's because I can have the typical GF desserts like ice cream at home, but I would have had a difficult time creating this concoction of almond brittle, vanilla ice cream, chocolate rum sauce and fresh whipped cream called Don Ricardo in my kitchen at home.

Aside from the bratwurst, bauernwurst, sauerkraut and hot potato salad, I advise extreme caution in enjoying German food. It's not surprising that a cuisine best known for wienerschnitzel (basically deep fried veal) isn't exactly celiac-friendly. Many entrees include sauces thickened with wheat flour or include dangerous noodles or dumplings. Probably a good idea to learn a few German words, such as Weizen (wheat). As with any restaurant, ask the staff how they can best accomodate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin