Monday, August 10, 2009

A GF Surprise: Macaroni and Cheese

The three gluten-filled items I miss the most are: macaroni and cheese, beer and doughnuts. Apparently, it's a good thing I have celiac's- if I didn't, I'd be HUGE! This post is about macaroni and cheese. In one of our getting-to-know-you conversations I mentioned to Joe my gluten-filled trifecta, stipulating that I especially miss the Kraft version of mac and cheese. You know, the incredibly unhealthy one with tons of butter, fake cheese and scary chemicals? Delicious. Reminds me, somehow, of being a kid. I had a serious case of the "blue box blues," because while I could easily recreate homemade mac and cheese, this seemed outside the realm of possibilities.

But, then I started thinking out loud, which I am wont to do, and I wondered if the cheese sauce in the Kraft blue box was GF- because then you could recreate GF mac and cheese with gluten-free pasta! And, then I promptly forgot about this brilliant idea, as I am also wont to do, but Joe didn't.

Last Sunday, I returned from three days at my parent's to a surprise dinner consisting of Kraft mac and cheese prepared with GF pasta. Because, it turns out, the cheese sauce for Kraft macaroni and cheese is gluten-free! Joe made it with Tinkyada Brown Rice Spirals and it was perfect.


He paired it with salad (we had to eat something healthy) and Redbridge beer, which I had tried before (see much earlier posts), but it tasted better this time. I don't know if it was fresher this time, they changed their formula or if it was because it was part of Joe's surprise. For those of you in the Bangor-Orono area, Redbridge can be easily found at Shaw's, Hannaford and Burby & Bates.


Finally, for dessert there was Pamela's Chocolate Truffle Brownies with blackraspberry ice cream - the very best ice cream flavor in my personal opinion.

It was absolutely wonderful. Thanks again, Joe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin