Friday, January 15, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me

Yesterday I turned the big 2-6.

Up until a few years ago there was this Italian Restaurant in Portland with delicious food and huge portions called the Village. It was a common birthday dinner destination. I would always order the veal parmigiana and would eat it for about a week. Since I'm gluten-free now and the restaurant has closed I haven't had veal parmigiana in a long, long time.

This birthday I decided to change all that. Since Joe and I plan to go out tonight to celebrate, but I still wanted something for my birthday. I've developed great GF recipes for both chicken and eggplant parmigiana and while I some conscience twangs about the treatment of veal cows, I decided to give myself a treat and an ethical pass. After all, it was my birthday. It was delicious. Perhaps not as good as I remember the Village being, but for something from my own kitchen - it was awesome and easy.


Veal Parmigiana
  • veal cutlets
  • Italian seasoned GF breadcrumbs
  • Tomato sauce (whatever you like and have on hand should work fine)
  • Shredded mozzarella cheese
  • Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • Olive Oil
Once again, not really any measurements- I like to eyeball ingredient amounts when I'm cooking. Season the veal with salt and pepper. Dip each piece into the egg and then dredge with the breadcrumbs. Fry in olive oil for 1-2 minutes per side and stack the pieces in a small glass casserole, 2-3 pieces of veal per stack. If you like a lot of tomato sauce, put it between each piece. Or, if you're like me and think less is more, just put tomato sauce on top along with the cheeses. Bake for about ten minutes for medium rare. Serve with pasta.

1 comment:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin