Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Matter of Simple Substitution

Sometimes we get lucky and a regular recipe can be transformed into a gluten-free recipe by simply substituting gluten-free ingredients. Simple substitution. Some recipes lend themselves easily to simple substitution; others, unfortunately, don't. Last night for dinner I transformed two regular recipes into a delicious gluten-free meal using simple substitution. On the menu: Pasta with Sausage, Basil & Mustard and Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce. Yum!

My menu was inspired by spring cleaning. In the fall, friends gave me a bag of Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta shells that I discovered behind my pasta collection. Earlier in the week We Are Not Martha (http://www.wearenotmartha.com/- check them out!) featured a delicious sounding pasta recipe that seemed the perfect use for my hoarded pasta. I'd never tried this brand before and I was very impressed by the texture and taste. I will definitely be looking for more of this. Secondly, I discovered I had finally saved enough heels and broken pieces from my preferred Kinnikinnick White Sandwich Bread to make Bread Pudding- hooray!

Pasta with Sausage, Basil & Mustard

  • 16 oz gluten-free pasta shells
  • one package al fresco roasted garlic chicken sausage
  • 3/4 dry white wine (I used Black Swan Chardonnay)
  • 3/4 heavy cream
  • 3 tablespoons grainy mustard
  • pinch of crushed red pepper
  • 1 cup thinly sliced basil
How I made this recipe gluten-free:
This recipe was easy to transform, I substituted two ingredients: the pasta (obviously) and the sausage (less obvious, always be careful of fillers). For the pasta I used a package gifted and recommended by a friend, the Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta Shells mentioned above. I would highly recommend this product and here's a picture to help you find it:

Second, I used a gluten-free sausage: al fresco's Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage. I like this sausage not only because it is clearly labeled gluten-free (I love it when companies take the guess work out of labeling reading), but also because it's all natural and delicious. Even my picky, picky sister who does not like sausage loves this product:


Easy. Now on to the recipe:

Start boiling water for the pasta (whatever brand you choose, follow the package instructions), drain and set aside.

Cut the sausage into small pieces. Saute in olive oil until golden brown. Add the wine to the skillet and allow to reduce (about 5 minutes), be sure to scrap the bottom of the pan to get all the flavor into your sauce. Add the heavy cream, mustard and red pepper. Stir and let everything hang out for a few minutes.

Add the pasta and basil to the skillet. Fold everything together and serve. Easy and delicious.

Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce
  • 2 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 2 large eggs
  • 5 cups cubed gluten-free bread
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons whiskey
How I made it gluten-free:
Another example of simple substitution, I merely exchanged gluten-free bread for the French bread called for in the recipe. I love bread pudding, I store heels and broken pieces from my sandwich bread of choice (Kinnikinnick White Sandwich Bread) in the freezer until I have enough to make bread pudding.


Note: I substituted lactaid for the milk called for in the recipe, I often do this in baking because, like most celiacs, I'm lactose intolerant and this recipe called for a lot of dairy product. I didn't substitute the cream in the first recipe because lactaid milk would not have thickened properly to make the sauce and I felt the amount of dairy product wouldn't bother me. It's a bit like playing Russian roulette, but I've figured out what my body can handle.

Now the recipe:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cut the bread into smallish cubes, whatever that means to you.

Lightly beat the eggs. Add the milk, cinnamon and sugar. Whisk together. Stir in the bread cubes and allow them to soak up the mixture. (At this point you might add raisins. I hate them, so I didn't) Pour into an ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole.

Bake uncovered 40-45 minutes until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

Meanwhile, start preparing the whiskey sauce. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat, do not allow to simmer! Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes.

Mix water and egg. Add slowly to melted butter. Stir in sugar.

Cook over medium-low heat stirring constantly (really, you cannot leave this alone for a second) until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in whiskey. Cool for 10 minutes.

Serve over warm breading pudding - yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin