Thursday, November 19, 2009

If I Blog It, I'll Do It

Theoretically, of course.

I'm well into my second week of training for my first half marathon - 13.1 miles. Which is also, incidentally, the longest distance I've ever raced (5K being the old record) and training for it will mark the first time I've ever run more than 5 miles at once. Gulp.

Disclaimer: I'm not going to run it fast, I'm going to finish it. I never have been and never will be a fast runner.

The plan is to run the New Bedford Half Marathon on March 21, 2010. I'm using Hal Higdon's training regime, with a few repeated weeks since my marathon is more than 12 weeks away. I figured a slow start was a good idea. November has, surprisingly, turned out to be a good month for running. Relatively warm and, so far at least, no snow. So far, I'm really enjoying my training and, of course, the company of my running partner, Joe. November might seem like an odd time to set a major goal like running a half, perhaps better suited to a New Year's Resolution? Well, that's not how I roll. I've found that when I commit to a goal when the mood strikes me, rather than waiting for a prescribed holiday, I'm more likely to keep them. I'm feeling stronger and faster with each run, hopefully this trend will continue!

Things have been very busy the past few days and keeping me away from my blogging, but fortunately . . .


. . . we've enjoyed a series of spectacular sunsets. This one enjoyed from my front steps . . .


. . .and Madison has been supplying plenty of research help. Here she is making herself comfortable on my notes.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!!!! Hal Higdon's plan is a good one.

    I just ran my first half on 10/18 and am doing another in Atlanta on 3/21 also! My goal is to fun a full on May 16, 2010.

    Keep us posted on your progress!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin