Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Man and His Grill

A few weeks ago we became the proud owners of a grill and now we don't know how we ever lived without one. Since we have a very small back porch, I don't care for the taste of charcoal and we also wanted something portable for hiking, we decided to order the O-Grill 1000 from Amazon.com. Since all the normal grill colors were out of stock and we wanted the grill in time for am upcoming camping trip, we ordered the purple (it was either that or orange), which is actually a very pretty purply pink. I'm a fan, but Joe probably would have preferred something manlier. Otherwise, we couldn't be more pleased with our purchase. It's lightweight and easily portable, great for camping. And Joe tells me it's very easy to use. I don't know for myself because the grill has become Joe's exclusive domain. He grills and I plan things for him to grill.


The first week we had the grill, when I was putting together the weekly menu, Joe insisted on grill recipes the entire week. No matter the forecast predicted rain, rain, rain. We were going to grill. Which is how I came across this recipe from Smitten Kitchen for grilled lamb kebabs and tzatziki. I made the very smallest adaptation to the Smitten Kitchen recipe (it was naturally GF) by adding a clove of chopped garlic to the marinade because I'm of the opinion the addition of garlic improves most things (with obvious exceptions).


I paired it with the Mediterranean Pepper Salad recommend by Deb and was very pleased with the results. Since I'm the only person in our household that eats things like peppers, kalmata olives, onions and feta cheese, I halved the recipe and only used two peppers. It was delicious that night paired with the kebabs and even better the rest of the week in my lunch with quinoa and leftover tzatziki.

Unfortunately, the tzatziki didn't make it into any of the pictures. But, I assure you it was delicious and paired wonderfully with the lamb. You'll also notice a second side dish: grilled corn. Since we got the grill, Joe has perfected his grilled corn recipe. I'm not sure I'm permitted to share it here, I'll have to try and talk him into a guest post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin