Friday, May 21, 2010

Gruyere, Spinach and Bacon Stuffed Chicken Breast with Two Yolk Hollandaise

I've made enough changes to this recipe, I'm starting to think of it as my own. It originated from a We Are Not Martha rendition of a Cooking Light recipe. My changes mostly result in it not belonging in Cooking Light, but it's delicious, fairly easy to make and a good dish for impressing company. It's also one of Joe's favorites.

The first alteration was the replacement of arugula with spinach because that's how We Are Not Martha made it and what would I do with a whole bag of Arugula? The bacon was swapped for the prosciutto because Joe didn't care for. The original sauce is good, but still a bit of a sore spot with me. The recipe makes a lot and I had the brilliant idea of freezing the leftovers to thaw the next time we made this recipe. It was working out brilliantly until I dropped the sauce container and ended up with tomato and shallot mixture all over the kitchen. So, the hollandaise sauce was a last minute addition and one that worked quite well. I'm a hollandaise fan to begin with, but I also think it blended nicely with the flavors from the cheese and bacon. This has become a permanent adaptation. I adapted the Betty Crocker hollandaise recipe to two yolks because three yolks just made too much sauce. Two yolks is much better suited to two people.

Gruyere, Spinach and Bacon Stuffed Chicken Breast with Two Yolk Hollandaise
Adapted from Cooking Light

two boneless, skinless chicken breasts; butterfiled
two pieces of bacon (cooked)
four pieces of Gruyere cheese
a handful of spinach
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Pile the cheese, bacon and spinach on one side and fold the other half of the breast over the filling. Secure with toothpicks. Cooking Light calls for sauteing the chicken and finishing it in the oven. I can't be bother with this. The filling fall out and it's just generally annoying. I toss it right in the oven, usually for about 20-25 minutes. Remove chicken from oven and serve with hollandaise.

Two Yolk Hollandaise

two egg yolks
5 tablespoons of butter
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice

With a whisk, beat together the egg yolks and lemon juice. Add half the butter and place over very low heat, whisking continuously. Once the butter melts, add the rest of the butter. About a minute of whisking after the second addition of butter melts should result in a lovely, thick hollandaise. Just enough for two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin