Monday, May 17, 2010

Update on the Blackberry Gluten Free App

This weekend I figured out my paypal password again and purchased the Gluten Free for Blackberry App. Actually, my ad proceeds from Foodbuzz covered the $2.99 price tag, so . . . thanks! I'm really loving my Blackberry, it's such a handy tool for living gluten-free. I love being able to look up ingredients where ever I am, having internet on my phone allows me to easily be more diligent about my gluten-free diet when I'm out and about. This app is especially handy and I recommend it. It's much faster than doing a google search and, as far as I can tell at this point, the information seems very accurate. You can search GF products by caregory or search by brand name.

Here's an example of where I imagine this app would be super handy: say you're at the movie theater and feel like a sweet treat. But, you can't remember is Skittles are GF (and sometimes it's HARD to remember what's safe and what isn't). All you need to do is pull out your blackberry and search candy (although the list is LONG and takes awhile to scroll down to Skittles) and discover that yes, Skittles are gluten free. And so are Junior Mints. And Snickers Almond. Sweet, right? Because some of the lists are long, I would recommend using the search feature if you're checking on a specific product and using the categories if you want to explore your options.

The resources and community features still need to be filled out, hopefully an update is coming soon, but the gluten-free restaurant search brought up a Scott's Bakery near Belfast, Me that specializes in gluten-free cookies and whoopies pies. Bummer, I was in Belfast this weekend! I'm sad to have missed out on GF whoopies pies, but excited to add them to the agenda the next time we head towards the coast! I wouldn't bother with the gluten-free shopping list or the foods to avoid (unless you're newly diagnosed), most of this information is basic celiac knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin