Saturday, April 4, 2009

Dining-Out 101: Japanese














Lucky for us celiacs, some delicious foods are naturally gluten-free. This includes on of my personal favorites, sushi - yum! Originally, my sister and I had plans for pizza Friday night, but a discussion of food at thesis defenses (very random) gave me a craving for sushi that couldn't be ignored. Sadly, our usual sushi spot, Ichiban on Union Street was closed (temporarily, I hope). So, instead we ventured over to the Mall to explore a new restaurant, Green Tea, which serves both Japanese and Chinese cuisine. We had to wait awhile for a table, but it was Friday night and we were without reservations. Although my sister strongly disliked the hostess, our waiter was friendly and prompt. While it wasn't as good as Ichiban (taste or presentation-wise), it took care of my sushi craving and the Spicy Tuna Tempura roll was gorgeous.

We also ordered the biggest seaweed salad I had never seen.

Dining-out at Japanese restaurants is easy, as far as gluten-free dining goes. Most items on the menu are naturally gluten-free, including most sushi, miso soup, tempura and many entrees (watch those noodles!). Two things to be cautious of: the sauces used in entrees and some of the fancier sushi rolls and soy sauce. I've noticed most Japanese restaurants provide Kikkomann brand soy sauce on their tables. One of the first ingredients in this particular brand is wheat, so I usually bring a small container of own soy sauce in my bag. La Choy is one example of a gluten-free soy sauce.

With a little organization and forethought, dining-out at Japanese restaurants is simple and delicious - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin