Monday, April 6, 2009

The X - Files: Cooking with Xanthan Gum (Gingerbread Pancakes)

It's taken me awhile, but I've finally decided to start experimenting with xanthan gum. Xanthan gum is produced from the outer layer of a tiny, inactive bacterium Xanthomonas campestris. It doesn't sound very appetizing, but it's tasteless nature and ability to hold together small particles makes it an ideal substitute for gluten in gluten-free baking (it's the gluten in wheat flour that holds ingredients together). An eight ounce package of xanthan gum produced by Bob's Red Mill (I really like Bob's Red Mill's products and Bob . . . he's clearly a man who knows how to acessorize- check out that bolo tie and newsboy cap) set me back $12.55 at the Natural Living Center. Pricy, but most recipes only call for a teaspoon- so it will last FOREVER.

The next morning, I decided to experiment with my morning pancakes (hooray for weekend breakfasts, usually it's just oatmeal and I run out the door). Actually, I would have been better suited tweaking the recipe to make the batter less thick (since in the past I've noted it's extremely thick nature), but it was Sunday morning and I wasn't thinking clearly yet. I ended up with very thick, very filling pancakes. But it's a great recipe, so I'll include it here minus the xanthan gum because it really wasn't necessary.


Gingerbread Pancakes
Combine all wet ingredients in one bowl and all dry ingredients in another. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Cook on a greased skillet. These pancakes are so thick, they won't cook all the way through on the stove top. I cook them for a few minutes on each side and put in the oven at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes. Serve with butter and maple syrup or get all fancy with whipped cream and strawberries. I think next time I'll increase the coffee and milk to try and make the batter a little thinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin