Friday, June 19, 2009

Gluten-Free Travels

The official first day of summer may be a few more days away, but I'm ready to start thinking about summer adventures now. Lucky girl that I am, I have the entire month of July off to visit friends, relax, hang-out with the family and write a paper- but that's another story. Last year's big adventure was Spain and Germany with Sarah, Mom and Gramps (here's Mom and me in Biarritz) and I wish I had known about these resources beforehand. I was still able to find delicious, GF meals, but these websites might have made things a little easier.

The first is Gluten-Free Guidebook, a blog written by travel writer Hilary Davidson. Hilary has great tips, for travel in general, but especially for celiac travelers. Philadelphia and Toronto have just been moved to the top of my "Places to Visit" list.

Secondly (and I'm really excited about this one), is Gluten Free Maps. This site is user generated and tracks gluten-free restaurants by location. There's currently nothing listed in Maine (which means I have some submissions to make) or Europe, but it has great listings for major U.S. cities. As a test, I searched Washington, D.C. and discovered Hello Cupcake, a bakery in Dupont Circle that serves gluten-free cupcakes! In fact, they have a different gluten-free selection every day! October and the Honors College trip to D.C. can't come soon enough!

2 comments:

  1. Does this mean that your staying on in Maine for another year? :-) I hope so because I need people to travel VIP style with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't tell you!? Both Steph and I will be staying another year. We'll have to reserve a VIP section of the bus to DC!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin