Monday, June 15, 2009

Gluten in Pop Culture: National Public Radio

My boss, who is a much more avid NPR listener than I am, mentioned to me a lunch today that he heard a short segment on NPR this morning about celiac disease. A quick trip to NPR's website turned up this interview with the Rosenblum family. Their 13-year-old son, Jacob, was diagnosed with celiac's disease last year and in the interview the Rosenblum's discuss Jacob's symptoms, diagnosis and the ways they're all now living gluten-free (a transcript of the interview and two free recipes are also available). Robin Rosenblum, Jacob's mom, makes an important point in the interview I know personally I'm guilty of forgetting, "'I was elated,' says Robin. 'There's no medicine, no surgery.' She said it was such a relief to know he could get better by changing his diet." Jacob's mom is right, it really could be so much worse. I know I can sometimes get wrapped up in feeling sorry for myself that I can't enjoy the foods I used to love, but this interview made me pause for a moment and appreciate that I don't have a more serious condition (Crohn's Disease, lupus, etc), that I can relatively easily control my celiac disease through diet and all the fantastic gluten-free alternatives. Plus, I truly enjoy the challenge of creating gluten-free versions of my former gluten-full favorites. So, if you haven't been, trying taking a glass-half-full approach to your GF lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin