Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Dining-Out 101: Anello's Gluten Free Cafe

This past weekend I visited friends in New Hampshire. It was a wonderful way to spend the 4th of July: reconnecting with friends and exploring my old stomping grounds. Sunday afternoon, after exploring the Wentworth-Coolidge Mansion, Sarah and I decided to visit downtown Portsmouth for a sushi lunch. Fortuitously, although it did not seem fortuitous at the time, Portsmouth was very crowded and we couldn't find a parking spot near the restaurant. Instead, we parked further away and had to walk down Congress Street past a little establishment I might not have noticed otherwise. But, the words "gluten free" on the sign caught my attention and much to my delight we discovered a little gluten-free cafe right in downtown Portsmouth. The discovery of Anello's Cafe has secured Portsmouth's place as my favorite city. Anello's Cafe serves a full menu of sandwiches and has cases bursting with delicious looking baked goods. We had our hearts set on sushi, so we didn't stop in for lunch- but were sure to save room for a sweet treat after our lunch. Sarah got chocolate cake which was moist, rich and chocolately. The frosting was an exact copy of the birthday cake frosting I remember from my childhood. They also have full-sized birthday cakes (hint, hint). I got a couple cookies to bring home- the raspberry especially was delicious. I'm looking forward to my next NH trip, I'll definitely be dropping by to try one of their delicious sounding sandwiches.

Sarah's chocolate cake


One dessert case at Anello's, note the cakes in the background


Cannolli shells!


For Steph, GF whoopie pies


These raspberry linzers were delicious

We were generously given a sample of this carrot cake- delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Whoopies!! This just in: I made an emergency bread stop at the IGA yesterday (don't judge me) and they have whoopies, sized "large" and "GIANT." I would even say "GIGANTIC." Yikesy..

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin